CALL FOR ART
ArtsWorcester, Worcester MA
Impact: A Members’ Exhibition in Collaboration with the Fitchburg Art Museum
Registration Deadline: February 8, 2023
Drop off period: February 16 - February 19, 2023
Exhibition run: February 25 - April 8, 2023
Reception: March 3, 2023, 6-9 PM
Pick up period: April 13 - April 16, 2023
For the eleventh annual Call and Response exhibition, ArtsWorcester and the Fitchburg Art Museum invite artist members to bring one artwork that explores any way humanity and nature impact one another.
The natural world has always inspired artists with its beauty, power, and the raw materials it offers for art-making. Today, in the face of our climate crisis, many artists bear witness to and represent environmental changes in their work–even as others draw from the beautiful ways humans have shaped and utilized the earth.
Artist members are asked to consider humanity’s complex relationship with our environment, along with one (or more) of ten artworks on loan from the Fitchburg Art Museum. These ten artworks explore a range of impacts on the natural world in their themes, subject matter, and materials. View the loan here.
The Fitchburg Art Museum’s curatorial staff will select ten works from Impact by ArtsWorcester artist members to be exhibited at FAM with the loaned works.
Submitted artworks must correlate in some way to 1-3 artworks from the FAM loan. You will be asked to identify the work(s) that inspired your piece when submitting. All media are welcome, including but not limited to fine craft, painting, photography, sculpture, digital, and video.
Have a question about the call, or want to share what you’re thinking of submitting? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the gallery at 508-755-5142.
Please read this list thoroughly before registering your work. Any works that do not meet these requirements will not be considered.
- Current ArtsWorcester membership is required to submit. If membership fees are a financial obstacle to participation, please write email@example.com or ask in the galleries about the Pay It Forward Fund.
- Each artist may submit one artwork.
- Submitted artworks must correlate in some way to 1-3 artworks from the FAM loan.
- All submissions must be made through this Submittable form.
- All work must be original, created within the last five years (2017 onward), and not previously exhibited at ArtsWorcester. For example, a monoprint or screen print is permitted, but a giclee print of a painting is not.
- Two-dimensional or wall-hanging artworks must not exceed 36” in any direction, including frame.
- Three-dimensional artworks that do not hang on the wall are limited to 90” in height and 36” at the widest point.
- Artworks suspended from the ceiling are limited to 25 pounds.
- Works must be exhibition-ready with framing and wire as appropriate. Alternative hanging methods (suspended from the ceiling, installed with magnets, etc.) must be tested prior to submission to ensure successful installation, and additional required hardware must be provided.
- Video artists may be asked to provide their own screening device that fits the size requirements of two-dimensional artworks.
- All artwork submissions must include one high-quality image to be included on the exhibition website.
- Artwork must be brought to ArtsWorcester, 44 Portland Street, Worcester, MA during the designated drop off period. ArtsWorcester cannot accept or return artworks by mail.
- Artists receive sixty percent of each sale made through our galleries.