CALL FOR PROPOSALS
Solo and Group Exhibitions
Submission Deadline: March 31, 2020
Notifications: By the end of June, 2020
ArtsWorcester invites proposals for solo and group shows for our 2020-2021 gallery season and corporate art program. Proposals are evaluated by a panel of seven volunteers, all with extensive experience as curators, educators, collectors, and/or artists. All proposals are viewed anonymously.
Exhibitions may be placed in our galleries in the Printers Building, our partner spaces at the Davis Art Gallery or the Hanover Theatre, or in our corporate art program. Multiple exhibitions may be produced in the same gallery space (for example, two solo exhibitions simultaneously in the West Gallery).
New and traditional media, fine craft, and site-specific installations are all welcome. Proposals should be specific regarding presentation and installation plans. During installations of selected exhibitions, artists have the opportunity to work with and learn from our exhibit designer. All installations take place during the work week during normal business hours.
As part of this year’s call, we seek proposals for solo exhibitions eligible for the Present Tense Prize. This prize is awarded to an artist whose work exemplifies new practices, artistic risk-taking, and excellence in execution. In addition to a solo exhibition, the Present Tense Prize winner receives an award of $1,000.
Artists interested in exhibiting as a group must submit individual forms through this portal. Information entered in section 2 (about the exhibition as a whole) should be consistent across each form. Information entered in section 3 and section 4 (about individual artists and their work) should be specific to the individual artist’s work within the group exhibition.
Artists should also consider our new member-curated exhibition opportunity.
Learn about our exhibition venues.
Download a copy of our submission guidelines.
Meet this year’s Exhibitions Panel.
General Requirements and Information:
- Current ArtsWorcester membership is required for all artists at the time of submission. There is no geographic restriction on membership, but artists (or their proxy) must deliver and pick up all artwork.
- Artists must have exhibited in at least one members or juried exhibition at ArtsWorcester prior to submitting an exhibition proposal.
- All submissions must be made electronically using this Submittable form. Hard-copy and email submissions will not be accepted.
- Artists may submit one solo and one group proposal.
- Exhibited works must have been completed within the last ten years and not previously shown at ArtsWorcester.
- Proposals must be original, and must not have been submitted to any prior exhibition calls at ArtsWorcester.
- Artists receiving solo exhibitions are required to give an artist talk or equivalent public programming.
- Artists under final consideration for solo exhibitions may be asked to bring in examples of proposed works for in-person consideration.
- Artists earn 60% on sales made through our galleries. Artists exhibiting through our corporate art program also receive loan fees for their artwork.
- While on view through ArtsWorcester, all artwork is insured for its market value.
- An exhibition proposal, not to exceed 175 words, that describes the scope of your proposed exhibition. For group shows, each artist should include the same exhibition proposal on their submission form.
- Answers, each not to exceed 100 words, to the following questions: How complete is your proposed exhibition? What one to three ideas, concepts, or experiences does this body of work communicate? What artistic inspirations or traditions guided or influenced this body of work? How are the methods or techniques used important to this body of work? Does your proposal require any special installation needs?
- A curriculum vitae or artist resumé.
- 5 images of works (each a maximum of 2 MB, or 300 dpi at 100% size; video and performance artists should include 5 thirty-second clips).
- Artists may also include 2 additional detail images of two-dimensional work or 3 additional alternate views of three-dimensional works
After submitting your proposal, you will receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive an email please contact the gallery to confirm receipt: firstname.lastname@example.org or (508) 755-5142