CALL FOR ART
Dodge and Burn
Submission Deadline: December 2, 2021
Notifications: by December 16, 2021
Drop off period: January 6 - January 9, 2021
Exhibition run: January 20 - February 27, 2022
Juried by: Beth Kantrowitz, independent curator and art consultant, Co-Director of Drive-By Projects
"Dodging" and "burning" are the ways photographers in the darkroom either lighten or darken different areas of an image. This technique has since been modernized in digital editing software like Photoshop. The resulting effect is a heightened visual contrast.
For this juried exhibition, we’re looking for contrast within a single wall-hanging artwork. Contrast may be visual or thematic. Think light and dark, big and small, textured and smooth, etc.
This is a call for wall-hanging artwork. All media are welcome, including but not limited to painting, photography, digital, fine craft, and video. Artwork must not exceed 48” x 48”, including frame, and may not extend more than 12” from the wall.
This is a juried exhibition, meaning that the juror will consider all eligible submissions and select certain artworks to be shown at ArtsWorcester. All Artist Members may submit up to two pieces for consideration. The contrast must be evident within a single work, not between your two submissions.
Please contact email@example.com with any questions about the call or submission requirements.
Please read this list thoroughly before submitting your work. Any works that do not meet these requirements will not be considered.
- All submissions must be registered through this Submittable form.
- Current ArtsWorcester membership is required to submit. If membership fees are a financial obstacle for you, please write firstname.lastname@example.org or ask in the galleries about the Pay It Forward Fund.
- Each artist may submit up to two works of art for consideration. Each artwork must be submitted separately.
- All work must be original, created within the last five years, and not previously exhibited at ArtsWorcester. For example, a monoprint or screen print is permitted, but a giclee print of a painting is not.
- Artworks must not exceed 48” x 48”, including frame, and may not extend more than 12” from the wall.
- Works must be exhibition-ready with framing and wire as appropriate. Alternative hanging methods must be tested prior to submission to ensure successful installation, and additional required hardware must be provided.
- Video artists must provide their own screening device that fits the size requirements.
- All artwork submissions must include one high-quality image to be included on the exhibition website.
- Accepted artworks must be brought to ArtsWorcester, 44 Portland Street, Worcester, MA during the designated drop off period. ArtsWorcester cannot accept artworks by mail.
- Artists receive sixty percent of each sale made through our galleries.