CALL FOR PROPOSALS
ArtsWorcester, Worcester MA
Rolling submission deadline
Notifications: beginning early June, 4-6 weeks after submission
Click here for complete information on the call, including venue floor plans. You should look for information specific to the Member-Curated opportunity and the Central Corridor.
ArtsWorcester invites proposals for our 2024-25 gallery season. Member-Curated Exhibitions are an opportunity for artists to use their curatorial skills and gain independent, hands-on experience producing an exhibition. Located in ArtsWorcester’s Central Corridor, these shows include at least 3-4 artist members’ work, chosen by one curator. The curator may include their own artwork in the proposal. All participating artists must be ArtsWorcester members.
Curators are responsible for communicating with participating artists, collecting, delivering, and retrieving artwork, providing an exhibition statement, and installing the exhibition in the Central Corridor. ArtsWorcester staff will be available for input on layout and to train the curator on the Arakawa hanging system.
Successful proposals should clearly state a curatorial vision for the space and the artists to be included. Curators should have experience working with ArtsWorcester and must demonstrate their capacity to fulfill this leadership role. Proposals are welcome on a rolling basis, and will be evaluated by ArtsWorcester staff and volunteers.
All work must be wall-hanging and may not extend more than 12” from the wall. Artworks are hung on a secured Arakawa hanging system (track and wire) and D-rings. This space cannot accommodate free-standing or pedestal artwork. Further questions about what type of artwork is feasible in this space may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submission requirements and guidelines
- Current ArtsWorcester membership is required for all artists at the time of submission. There is no geographic restriction on membership, but artists (or their proxy) must deliver and pick up all artwork. If membership fees are a financial obstacle to participation, please write email@example.com or ask in the galleries about the Pay It Forward Fund.
- Artists must have exhibited in at least one members’ or juried exhibition at ArtsWorcester in the last two calendar years prior to submitting an exhibition proposal.
- All submissions must be made electronically using Submittable. Hard-copy and email submissions will not be accepted.
- Artists may submit different proposals to the different exhibition options available.
- The committee prioritizes proposals from artists who have not had a solo exhibition at ArtsWorcester in the past three years.
- Exhibited works must have been completed within the last five years and not previously shown at ArtsWorcester.
- Proposals must be original, and must not have been submitted to any prior exhibition calls at ArtsWorcester.
- Artists under final consideration for Member-Curated exhibitions may be asked to bring in examples of proposed works for in-person viewing.
- Artists earn 60% on sales made through our galleries. Artists exhibiting through our corporate art program also receive loan fees for their artwork.
- While on view through ArtsWorcester, all artwork is insured for its market value.
What we need from you:
- An exhibition proposal, not to exceed 175 words, that describes the scope of your proposed exhibition.
- A list of the artists you intend to include in the exhibition.
- Answers, each not to exceed 100 words, to the following questions: How complete is your proposed exhibition? What one to three ideas, concepts, or experiences does this body of work/ exhibition communicate? What inspirations or traditions guided or influenced this body of work/ exhibition? How are the methods or techniques used important to this body of work/ exhibition?
- A curriculum vitae or artist resumé. Click here for examples of CVs for both gallery-based and public artists.
- 5 .jpg images of works from the artists to be included