CALL FOR PROPOSALS
Solo and Member-Curated Exhibitions
Submission Deadline: March 31, 2020
Notifications: By the end of June, 2020
ArtsWorcester invites proposals for solo and member-curated shows for our 2020-2021 gallery season and corporate art program. Proposals are evaluated first by a panel of regional art experts, and then by an ad hoc committee of volunteers, artists, and board members familiar with our venues and operations. All proposals are viewed anonymously.
New and traditional media, fine craft, and site-specific installations are all welcome. Proposals should be specific regarding presentation and installation plans. During installations of selected exhibitions, artists have the opportunity to work with and learn from our exhibit designer. All installations take place during the work week during normal business hours.
Included in this year’s call for exhibitions, we seek submissions specific to the Present Tense Prize, awarded to an artist whose work exemplifies new practices, artistic risk-taking, and excellence in execution. The Present Tense Prize winner receives an award of $1,000 and a solo exhibition during our 2020-2021 season.
Learn about our exhibition venues.
Download a copy of our submission guidelines.
General Requirements and Information:
- Current ArtsWorcester membership is required for all artists at the time of submission. There is no geographic restriction on membership, but artists (or their proxy) must deliver and pick up all artwork.
- Artists must have exhibited in at least one member show at ArtsWorcester prior to submitting an exhibition proposal.
- All submissions must be made electronically using this Submittable form. Hard-copy and email submissions will not be accepted.
- Artists may submit one solo and one member-curated proposal. Inclusion in another artist’s member-curated proposal does not disqualify you from making your own submissions.
- Proposals must be original and exhibited works must have been completed within the last ten years.
- Proposals must not have been submitted to any prior exhibition calls at ArtsWorcester.
- All selected artists will be required to give an artist talk or equivalent public programming.
- Artists earn 60% on sales made through our galleries. Artists exhibiting through our corporate art program also receive loan fees for their artwork.
- While on view through ArtsWorcester, all artwork is insured for its market value.
- An exhibition proposal, not to exceed 175 words, that describes the scope of your proposed exhibition.
- Answers, each not to exceed 100 words, to the following questions: How complete is your proposed exhibition? What one to three ideas, concepts, or experiences does this body of work communicate? What inspirations or traditions guided or influenced this body of work? How are the methods or techniques you use important to this body of work? Any special installation needs or requirements?
- A curriculum vitae or artist resumé. Member-curated shows should include one for each artist participating.
- 5 images of works (each a maximum of 2 MB, or 300 dpi at 100% size; video and performance artists should include 5 thirty-second clips). Proposals for member-curated exhibitions may include up to 10 images total.
- Artists seeking a solo exhibition may also include:
- 2 additional detail images of two-dimensional work or
- 3 additional alternate views of three-dimensional works
After submitting your proposal you will receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive an email please contact the gallery to confirm receipt: email@example.com or (508) 755-5142