CALL FOR SCULPTURE
Gravity/Levity: A Juried Members' Exhibition
ArtsWorcester, 44 Portland Street, Worcester
Submission Deadline: February 3, 2020
Notification: By February 17, 2020
Work Drop-Off: June 9-11, 12-5pm; June 12-13, 10am-7pm
Exhibition Dates: June 19 - August 1, 2020
*Please note, our call for a June exhibition is placed now to enable artists to plan ahead for the many overlapping summer sculpture opportunities. Please do not submit work if you cannot guarantee its availability for our exhibition dates.
Sculpture may be perceived as having significant weight, but often the finished work contradicts the medium. A buoyant image can be formed from the heaviest material, while a deeper narrative might be constructed of light paper. ArtsWorcester invites submissions of sculpture that interact with ideas of weight and/or weightlessness, both conceptually and materially. Sculpture in any media is eligible for consideration.
Lisa Crossman, PhD, Curator at the Fitchburg Art Museum, will serve as juror. Five hundred dollars in prizes will also be awarded, and winners will be announced at the opening.
Selected works will be exhibited in our state-of-the-art galleries from June through August, 2020. The space offers complete physical accessibility, nearly 2,000 square feet of exhibition space, professional installation, museum-quality lighting and labeling, ceiling anchors, and plywood blocking in all walls. A stationary loading dock is available for load-in.
All members of ArtsWorcester are eligible to submit work. Submission is free and each artist may enter two pieces for consideration.
Work must be submitted online by Monday, February 3, 2020.
- Current ArtsWorcester membership is required to submit.
- Each artist may submit two works of art for consideration and work must be registered online using this Submittable form. Email and hardcopy submissions will not be accepted.
- All work must be original, created within the last ten years, and not previously exhibited at ArtsWorcester.
- One image is required for each submission. Artists may also choose to include up to two additional detail images or alternate views for each submission.
- All works must be able to fit through a doorway 58" wide by 84" tall.
- All works must be able to handle a rigid loading dock (3 feet tall). Artists with exceptionally large or heavy pieces must provide a crew to load the work into the gallery.
- No single element of any artwork hanging from the walls or ceiling may exceed 50 pounds. All hanging systems must be tested prior to submission to ensure safe and successful installation.
- All work must be exhibition ready at time of delivery.
- ArtsWorcester provides pedestals, but artists may bring their own if they wish. All pedestals will be painted white to match the gallery.
- Artists receive sixty percent of each sale made through our galleries.
Please contact the gallery with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or (508) 755-5142.
After submission you will receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive this email, please check your spam folder before contacting the gallery to ensure receipt of your submission.
To submit an additional artwork, please return to the original submission link.