CALL FOR PROPOSALS
Submission Deadline: Tuesday, April 30, 2019
Notifications: by Wednesday, June 5, 2019
ArtsWorcester invites proposals for solo and small group exhibitions to fill six openings in our 2019-2020 exhibition season and corporate art program. Proposals are evaluated first by a volunteer panel of regional art experts, then by an ad hoc committee of volunteers, artists, and board members familiar with our venues and operations. All proposals are viewed anonymously.
The following exhibition openings are available:
Franklin Square Salon Gallery at the Hanover Theatre
- November 2019 – March 2020
- March 2020 – July 2020
Visited by more than five thousand guests each year, the historic Franklin Square Salon Gallery at The Hanover Theatre features high ceilings and refined architecture. It requires two-dimensional, medium- to large-scale artwork appropriate for broad audiences, including the supporters and corporate partners of The Hanover Theatre. All artworks exhibited in this space are installed using a secured Arakawa hanging system and D-rings. We celebrate exhibitions at the Franklin Square Salon Gallery with public opening receptions, after which free private viewings are available by appointment.
ArtsWorcester at the Davis
The newly-renovated Davis Gallery is located on the third floor of the Printers Building. ArtsWorcester proudly programs exhibitions bi-annually in this space operated by Davis Publications. Flooded with natural light, the gallery has hardwood floors, pristine walls, and a new lighting system ideal for new and traditional media, craft, performance, and site-specific installations. We celebrate exhibitions at the Davis Gallery with public opening receptions and gallery hours.
Corporate Art Program at Unum
Unum is the largest of our corporate art venues, with specific parameters and dates.
The Unum corporate headquarters at 1 Mercantile Street hosts:
- 15-18 two-dimensional works installed across three floors of Unum's offices, using a secured Arakawa hanging system and D-rings. These installations are not open to the public but are enjoyed daily and purchased by the company's 500 employees, their clients and visitors. Upcoming exhibition dates: November 2019 – March 2020 and March 2020 – July 2020.
- Large sculptures sited publicly in the main lobby (two times per year). The next opportunity is January 2020 – July 2020.
Additional opportunities at other businesses arise every year. Works appropriate for business settings will be considered for all corporate clients.
Artists in our corporate program receive loan fees for artwork exhibited. Fees are determined according to client contract and artwork size.
At all venues:
During installations of selected exhibitions, artists have the opportunity to work with and learn from our exhibit designer. Installations take place during the work week during normal business hours.
General requirements and information:
- Current ArtsWorcester membership is required for all artists at the time of submission. There is no geographic restriction on membership, but artists (or their proxy) must deliver and pick up all artwork.
- All submissions must be made electronically using this Submittable form. Hard-copy and emailed submissions will not be accepted.
- Artists may submit one solo and one group proposal. Inclusion in another artist's group proposal does not disqualify you from making your own submissions.
- Proposals must be original, and not previously submitted for exhibition at ArtsWorcester.
- Artists earn 60% on sales made through our galleries. Artists exhibiting through our corporate art program also receive loan fees for their artwork.
- While on view through ArtsWorcester, all artwork is insured for its market value.
Your submission requires:
- An exhibition proposal, not to exceed 175 words, that describes the scope of your proposed exhibition.
- Answers, each not to exceed 100 words, to the following questions: How complete is your proposed exhibition? What one to three ideas, concepts, or experiences does this body of work communicate? What inspirations or traditions guided or influenced this body of work? How are the methods or techniques you use important to this body of work? Any special installation needs or requirements?
- A curriculum vitae or resumé. Group proposals should include one for each artist participating.
- 5 images of works (each a maximum of 2 MB, or 300 dpi at 100% size; video and performance artists should include 5 thirty-second clips). Group proposals may submit up to 10 images total.
Artists seeking a solo exhibition may also include:
- two detail images of two-dimensional work, or
- three additional images of three-dimensional works showing alternate views.