CALL FOR ART
Paperphilia: Celebrating the Printers Building
Submission Deadline: Thursday, January 31, 2019
Notification: By Monday, February 18, 2019
Exhibition Dates: March 2019 to April 13, 2019
ArtsWorcester announces the call for Paperphilia, a juried exhibition of works on or of paper. Paperphilia will be the soft opening of our new galleries in the Printers Building, and with it, we pay tribute to the industrial heritage of our new home.
Guest juror Nancy Burns, Associate Curator of Prints, Drawings, and Photographs at the Worcester Art Museum, will select up to sixty artworks for inclusion in Paperphilia. Artworks must fall under the categories of print, painting, drawing, collage, or paper-sculpture. Photography is permitted as part of a larger work on or of paper.
All members of ArtsWorcester are eligible to submit work, and submission is free. Each artist may submit two pieces for consideration. The deadline is Thursday, January 31, 2019.
Please note that at the time of this call, ArtsWorcester’s new galleries are under construction. Exact dates for delivery of accepted works and the opening reception may be set as late as the beginning of March, and are subject to change. There may be final bits of construction still underway during the exhibition, but the artwork will be safe, warm, and properly lit. We thank our artists for their flexibility and understanding as we make this exciting transition.
- Current ArtsWorcester membership is required to submit.
- Each artist may submit two works of art for consideration, and all entries must be made online.
- Eligible artworks must use a paper-based substrate (the work is painted on, printed on, drawn on, or constructed of paper), and fall under one of these broad categories: print, painting, drawing, collage, or paper-sculpture. Photography is permitted as part of a larger work (e.g., photographs as part of a collage; photographs integrated into sculptures or book-art).
- Artists must provide a detailed description of the medium and processes used in the production of their work.*
- All work must be original, created within the last ten years, and not previously exhibited at ArtsWorcester.
- Two-dimensional artworks must not exceed 60” in any direction, including frame.
- Three-dimensional artworks are limited to 90” in height, and no single element can exceed 40 pounds.
- Artworks suspended from the ceiling are limited to 25 pounds.
- Works must be exhibition ready with framing and wire as appropriate. Alternative hanging methods (suspended from the ceiling, installed with magnets, etc.) must be tested prior to submission to ensure successful installation, and required hardware must be provided.
- Artists receive sixty percent of each sale made through our galleries.
* Submitting artists may consult with Nancy Burns at ArtsWorcester in January, exact dates to be determined. We offer this opportunity to help all artists be as specific as possible as they describe the production of their work. Please check our website soon for exact dates and additional information.
Please contact the gallery with any questions at email@example.com or (508) 755-5142.
Thank you for your submissions, thank you for moving with us, and good luck!