- You must be a member of ArtsWorcester to exhibit through us. Membership is $55 annually, and is tax-deductible (free of charge to students of Worcester-area colleges or universities). You may join or renew through our website (artsworcester.org), by telephone (508-755-5142), or during our gallery hours.
- Artwork must be original and ready for exhibition, with hardware, picture-hanging wire, and framing as appropriate. No saw-toothed hangers or clip frames will be accepted.
- Work must be completed within the last ten years (for the College Show, not within the last two years).
- Work must not have been previously shown at ArtsWorcester.
- Two-dimensional works are limited to 48 inches in any direction, including the frame.
- Three-dimensional works may not exceed 90 inches in height. No single element of a sculpture may exceed 40 pounds in weight.
- Artists are responsible for the delivery and pick-up of their works, and insurance to and from ArtsWorcester.
- Sales are encouraged. A 40% commission will be deducted from all sales.
- ArtsWorcester insures all works in our exhibits against loss or damage at 60% of its value. Work will not be accepted without a declared value. ArtsWorcester exercises due care in handling all artwork.
- For juried exhibits, all decisions of the juror are final.
- ArtsWorcester reserves the right to take photographs and to use images of exhibited artwork for the purposes of documentation, education, publicity (including internet), and for grant proposals.
By submitting, you commit to bringing your artwork to ArtsWorcester, 44 Portland Street, between 12:00 and 4:00 PM on the following dates:
- Wednesday, January 23
- Thursday, January 24
- Friday, January 25
- Saturday, January 26
- If you are unable to bring your artwork to ArtsWorcester during one of these scheduled times, you must contact the gallery to make an appointment.
Please note that you may submit a maximum of three pieces. If you do submit multiple pieces, please make sure to give each artwork a unique name. You'll need to do a separate upload for each piece. Our guidelines:
- You must be enrolled in a Worcester-area college or university holding
an institutional membership in ArtsWorcester.
- Artwork must be original, completed in the last two years, and not previously shown at or submitted to ArtsWorcester.
Artwork must be exhibition-ready, with any required hardware,
picture-hanging wire, and framing as appropriate. No saw-toothed hangers
or clip frames will be accepted. Paintings on canvas do not need to be
framed, but they need wire installed on the back so that we can hang
- Photographs and other works on paper should be framed
or matted. Cheap sources of frames: ready-made frames from C.C. Lowell,
Target, or places like T.J. Maxx. Even cheaper: buy a framed work or
poster from a thrift store, throw out the art inside, and use the frame.
Paint it black, if it needs freshening up.
- Very large works on paper (greater than 2-3 feet in any direction) are an exception to our framing requirements: we can hang them with alternative methods.
Thank you for your submission, and good luck!
New and traditional media, fine craft, and site-specific installations are all welcome. Proposals should be specific regarding presentation and installation plans. Selected artists may work with our professional installer.
part of this year’s call for exhibits, we seek submissions specific to the Present
Tense Prize, awarded to an artist whose work exemplifies new
practices, artistic risk-taking, and excellence in execution. The Present Tense
Prize winner receives an award of $1,000 and a solo exhibit, and will give an artist talk. You may submit work for a gallery
exhibit and the Present Tense Prize here concurrently.
One forty-inch video monitor is available for artist use.
For the call and the prize:
- Current ArtsWorcester membership is required for all artists. There is no geographic restriction on membership, but artists (or their proxy) must deliver and pick up artwork.
- Artists earn 60% on sales made through our galleries.
- All submissions must be made
- The submission due date is midnight on March 29, 2018.
- We will notify you of your status by the end of June, 2018.
- 5 images of works (maximum of 2 MB, or 300 dpi at 100% size; video and performance artists should include 5 thirty-second pieces)
- Group proposals may submit up to ten images total.
- Exhibit proposal, not to exceed 250 words, including the concept behind the exhibit, the number of works in it, and the status of its completion.
- Artist statement, not to exceed 200 words.
- Curriculum vitae or resume.
- 2 images of details of two-dimensional work.
- An additional three images of three-dimensional works from different angles.
We are particularly seeking art that
- troubles the divide between art and craft
- involves costume or apparel
- engages with art historical traditions, trends, and fashion
- plays with or complicates representations of gender and the body
- or focuses on pattern, structure, and texture.
- Any single element of a 3-D work is limited to 40 pounds, and must not exceed 90 inches in height.
One submission per artist, please.
Please register your work before March 7, here.
Drop-off: Thursday, March 8, Friday, March 9, and Saturday, March 10, from 12:00 to 4:00 PM.
Opening reception: Friday, March 16, 6:00 to 8:00 PM
Gallery hours: Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, 12:00 to 4:00
PM, and by appointment.
Collection of unsold artwork: Thursday, April 26, Friday, April 27, Saturday, April 28 between 12:00 – 4:00 PM.