ArtsWorcester engages artists and the public to advance and celebrate contemporary art. Through exhibitions and workshops, we advance the careers of contemporary artists in all traditions and mediums, and cultivate excellence through competitive opportunities and prizes. Our exhibiting artists include those just beginning their practice, those with established reputations, and those in between. Public openings, artist talks, events, outreach, and education grow the audiences for art in our region. All are welcome.
ArtsWorcester membership is required to submit work and exhibit through our galleries. Membership is open to all, and is free to students enrolled in Worcester-area colleges or universities.
Take a turn at being a Featured Artist at ArtsWorcester! Answer a few questions, provide a headshot and an image of your artwork, and we’ll feature you on our website and social media feeds. This opportunity is open to all artist members and has proven a popular benefit; please be prepared for a delay before yours appears.
We will edit for clarity and length as necessary. If your written material is not ready for the public quite yet, we’ll ask you to take another try at it.
Thanks for your participation and membership!
CALL FOR ART
Playing Games: A Members' Exhibition
ArtsWorcester, 44 Portland Street
Registration Deadline: April 13, 2020
Work Drop-Off: April 21 - 23, 12-5pm; April 24 - 25, 10am-7pm
Opening Reception: Friday, May 1, 6-9pm
Exhibition Dates: May 1 - June 6, 2020
"Play keeps us vital and alive. Without it, life just doesn't taste good." - Lucia Capacchione
Come help us turn the gallery experience upside down! We invite members to submit works of art that dive into games, play, and interaction. Create a touchable or kinetic piece that will bring the experience of art from the visual to the interactive. Represent the themes of game and play in your work. Or consider trying out your practice as an in-studio game, and see what you score.
Artworks for Playing Games may depict or involve games, sport, play, and how we incorporate these into our lives. We strongly encourage artworks that can be games themselves, giving gallery visitors the chance to stop, look, and play.
This is a non-juried, open members' exhibition. Each artist may register one work, and all registrations must be made online through this Submittable form. Artworks may be in any medium. Five hundred dollars in prizes will be awarded. Prizes will be selected by Darcy Schwartz, President and Director of Creative Programming at ArtReach Studio, Inc.
*Please read all submission requirements thoroughly. Due to the number of works we receive for open-member exhibitions, any work that does not meet submission requirements will not be accepted.
- Current ArtsWorcester membership is required for participation.
- All artwork must be registered online using this Submittable form. Due to the anticipated size of this exhibition, in-person artwork registrations will not be accepted and no artwork will be accepted past the registration deadline.
- Each artist may register one work of art for consideration.
- All work must be original, created within the last ten years, and not previously exhibited at ArtsWorcester.
- Two-dimensional artworks must not exceed 48” in any direction, including frame.
- Three-dimensional artworks are limited to 90” in height, and no single element can exceed 50 pounds.
- Artworks suspended from the ceiling are limited to 50 pounds.
- Works must be exhibition ready with framing and wire as appropriate. Alternative hanging methods (suspended from the ceiling, installed with magnets, etc.) must be tested prior to submission to ensure successful installation, and required hardware must be provided.
- Artists receive sixty percent of each sale made through our galleries.
Please contact the gallery with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or (508) 755-5142.
After registration you will receive a confirmation email from ArtsWorcester. If you do not receive this email, please check your spam folder first before contacting the gallery to ensure receipt of your submission.
Thank you for your interest in the Seventeenth Annual College Show. You may submit your artwork at any time, but the deadline is midnight on Friday, December 11, 2020.
Artwork drop-off will take place Tuesday, January 26 - Thursday, January 28, 12-5 PM, and Friday, January 29 - Saturday, January 30, 10 AM - 7 PM. Please do not submit artwork if you are not able to make this commitment.
Please note that you may submit a maximum of three pieces. Each artwork must have a unique name, and you will need to complete a separate form for each piece. Our guidelines:
- You must be enrolled in a Worcester-area college or university holding an institutional membership in ArtsWorcester (Anna Maria, Assumption, Becker, Clark, Holy Cross, MCPHS, QCC, WSU, WPI). If you are enrolled in any other college or university, including those outside of Worcester, and have a Student Membership, you are also eligible to submit.
- Artwork must be original, completed in the last two years, and not previously shown at or submitted to ArtsWorcester.
- Artwork must be exhibition-ready, with any required hardware, picture-hanging wire, and framing as appropriate. No saw-toothed hangers or clip frames will be accepted. Paintings on canvas do not need to be framed, but they need wire installed on the back so that we can hang them.
- Photographs and other works on paper should be framed or matted. Cheap sources of frames: ready-made frames from C.C. Lowell, A.C. Moore, Target, or places like T.J. Maxx. Even cheaper: buy a framed work or poster from a thrift store, throw out the art inside, and use the frame. Paint it black, if it needs freshening up.
- Very large works on paper (greater than 2-3 feet in any direction) are an exception to our framing requirements: we can hang them with alternative methods.
- Two-dimensional works are limited to 60 inches in any direction, including frame.
- Any single element of a 3-D work is limited to 50 pounds, and must not exceed 90 inches in height. A 3-D work may have more than one element in this size.
- Artists are responsible for delivery and pick-up of the work, and insurance to and from ArtsWorcester. Professors are occasionally willing to help with delivery.
- Artists receive sixty percent of each sale made through our galleries. Sales happen every year, so be sure to cover your own expenses (at the very least) when you determine a price for your work.
Please let us know of any questions you may have: 508-755-5142 or email@example.com.
Thank you for your submission, and good luck!