ArtsWorcester engages artists and the public to advance and celebrate contemporary art. Through exhibitions and workshops, we advance the careers of contemporary artists in all traditions and mediums, and cultivate excellence through competitive opportunities and prizes. Our exhibiting artists include those just beginning their practice, those with established reputations, and those in between. Public openings, artist talks, events, outreach, and education grow the audiences for art in our region. All are welcome.
ArtsWorcester membership is required to submit work and exhibit through our galleries. Membership is open to all, and is free to students enrolled in Worcester-area colleges or universities.
Take a turn at being a featured member of ArtsWorcester! Answer a few interview questions and provide an image of yourself and an artwork, and we'll feature you on our website and social media feeds at some point during the upcoming year. This opportunity is open to all artist members. This has proven a popular member benefit; you should be prepared for a delay of some months before yours appears.
We will edit for clarity and length if need be. If your written material is not ready for the public yet, we'll ask you to take another try at it and make some suggestions as to how it can best showcase your work.
Thanks for your participation and membership!
CALL FOR PROPOSALS
Submission Deadline: Tuesday, April 30, 2019
Notifications: by Wednesday, June 5, 2019
ArtsWorcester invites proposals for solo and small group exhibitions to fill six openings in our 2019-2020 exhibition season and corporate art program. Proposals are evaluated first by a volunteer panel of regional art experts, then by an ad hoc committee of volunteers, artists, and board members familiar with our venues and operations. All proposals are viewed anonymously.
The following exhibition openings are available:
Franklin Square Salon Gallery at the Hanover Theatre
- November 2019 – March 2020
- March 2020 – July 2020
Visited by more than five thousand guests each year, the historic Franklin Square Salon Gallery at The Hanover Theatre features high ceilings and refined architecture. It requires two-dimensional, medium- to large-scale artwork appropriate for broad audiences, including the supporters and corporate partners of The Hanover Theatre. All artworks exhibited in this space are installed using a secured Arakawa hanging system and D-rings. We celebrate exhibitions at the Franklin Square Salon Gallery with public opening receptions, after which free private viewings are available by appointment.
ArtsWorcester at the Davis
- April 2020
The newly-renovated Davis Gallery is located on the third floor of the Printers Building. ArtsWorcester proudly programs exhibitions bi-annually in this space operated by Davis Publications. Flooded with natural light, the gallery has hardwood floors, pristine walls, and a new lighting system ideal for new and traditional media, craft, performance, and site-specific installations. We celebrate exhibitions at the Davis Gallery with public opening receptions and gallery hours.
Corporate Art Program at Unum
Unum is the largest of our corporate art venues, with specific parameters and dates.
The Unum corporate headquarters at 1 Mercantile Street hosts:
- 15-18 two-dimensional works installed across three floors of Unum's offices, using a secured Arakawa hanging system and D-rings. These installations are not open to the public but are enjoyed daily and purchased by the company's 500 employees, their clients and visitors. Upcoming exhibition dates: November 2019 – March 2020 and March 2020 – July 2020.
- Large sculptures sited publicly in the main lobby (two times per year). The next opportunity is January 2020 – July 2020.
Additional opportunities at other businesses arise every year. Works appropriate for business settings will be considered for all corporate clients.
Artists in our corporate program receive loan fees for artwork exhibited. Fees are determined according to client contract and artwork size.
At all venues:
During installations of selected exhibitions, artists have the opportunity to work with and learn from our exhibit designer. Installations take place during the work week during normal business hours.
General requirements and information:
- Current ArtsWorcester membership is required for all artists at the time of submission. There is no geographic restriction on membership, but artists (or their proxy) must deliver and pick up all artwork.
- All submissions must be made electronically using this Submittable form. Hard-copy and emailed submissions will not be accepted.
- Artists earn 60% on sales made through our galleries. Artists exhibiting through our corporate art program also receive loan fees for their artwork.
- While on view through ArtsWorcester, all artwork is insured for its market value.
Your submission requires:
- An exhibition proposal, not to exceed 175 words, that describes the scope of your proposed exhibition.
- Answers, each not to exceed 100 words, to the following questions: How complete is your proposed exhibition? What one to three ideas, concepts, or experiences does this body of work communicate? What inspirations or traditions guided or influenced this body of work? How are the methods or techniques you use important to this body of work? Any special installation needs or requirements?
- A curriculum vitae or resumé. Group proposals should include one for each artist participating.
- 5 images of works (each a maximum of 2 MB, or 300 dpi at 100% size; video and performance artists should include 5 thirty-second clips). Group proposals may submit up to 10 images total.
Artists seeking a solo exhibition may also include:
- two detail images of two-dimensional work, or
- three additional images of three-dimensional works showing alternate views.
Thank you for your interest in the 2019 College Show. You may submit your artwork at any time, but the deadline is midnight on Friday, November 30, 2019.
Artwork drop-off will take place between Tuesday, January 21, and Saturday, January 25, 2019.
Specific hours for drop-off will be Tuesday - Thursday, 12-5 PM, and Friday - Saturday, 10 AM - 7 PM. Please do not submit artwork if you are not able to make this commitment.
Please note that you may submit a maximum of three pieces. If you do submit multiple pieces, please make sure to give each artwork a unique name. You'll need to do a separate upload for each piece. Our guidelines:
- You must be enrolled in a Worcester-area college or university holding an institutional membership in ArtsWorcester (Anna Maria, Assumption, Becker, Clark, Holy Cross, MCPHS, QCC, WSU, WPI). If you are enrolled in any other college or university, including those outside of Worcester, and have a Student Membership, you are also eligible to submit.
- Artwork must be original, completed in the last two years, and not previously shown at or submitted to ArtsWorcester.
- Artwork must be exhibition-ready, with any required hardware, picture-hanging wire, and framing as appropriate. No saw-toothed hangers or clip frames will be accepted. Paintings on canvas do not need to be framed, but they need wire installed on the back so that we can hang them.
- Photographs and other works on paper should be framed or matted. Cheap sources of frames: ready-made frames from C.C. Lowell, A.C. Moore, Target, or places like T.J. Maxx. Even cheaper: buy a framed work or poster from a thrift store, throw out the art inside, and use the frame. Paint it black, if it needs freshening up.
- Very large works on paper (greater than 2-3 feet in any direction) are an exception to our framing requirements: we can hang them with alternative methods.
- Two-dimensional works are limited to 60 inches in any direction, including frame.
- Any single element of a 3-D work is limited to 40 pounds, and must not exceed 90 inches in height. A 3-D work may have more than one element in this size.
- Artists are responsible for delivery and pick-up of the work, and insurance to and from ArtsWorcester. Professors are occasionally willing to help with delivery.
- Artists receive sixty percent of each sale made through our galleries. Sales happen every year, so be sure to cover your own expenses (at the very least) when you determine a price for your work.
Please let us know of any questions you may have: 508-755-5142 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your submission, and good luck!