ArtsWorcester engages artists and the public to advance and celebrate contemporary art. Through exhibitions and workshops, we advance the careers of contemporary artists in all traditions and mediums, and cultivate excellence through competitive opportunities and prizes. Our exhibiting artists include those just beginning their practice, those with established reputations, and those in between. Public openings, artist talks, events, outreach, and education grow the audiences for art in our region. All are welcome.
ArtsWorcester membership is required to submit work and exhibit through our galleries. Membership is open to all, and is free to students enrolled in Worcester-area colleges or universities.
CALL FOR ART
Paperphilia: Celebrating the Printers Building
Submission Deadline: Thursday, January 31, 2019
Notification: By Monday, February 18, 2019
Exhibition Dates: March 2019 to April 13, 2019
ArtsWorcester announces the call for Paperphilia, a juried exhibition of works on or of paper. Paperphilia will be the soft opening of our new galleries in the Printers Building, and with it, we pay tribute to the industrial heritage of our new home.
Guest juror Nancy Burns, Associate Curator of Prints, Drawings, and Photographs at the Worcester Art Museum, will select up to sixty artworks for inclusion in Paperphilia. Artworks must fall under the categories of print, painting, drawing, collage, or paper-sculpture. Photography is permitted as part of a larger work on or of paper.
All members of ArtsWorcester are eligible to submit work, and submission is free. Each artist may submit two pieces for consideration. The deadline is Thursday, January 31, 2019.
Please note that at the time of this call, ArtsWorcester’s new galleries are under construction. Exact dates for delivery of accepted works and the opening reception may be set as late as the beginning of March, and are subject to change. There may be final bits of construction still underway during the exhibition, but the artwork will be safe, warm, and properly lit. We thank our artists for their flexibility and understanding as we make this exciting transition.
- Current ArtsWorcester membership is required to submit.
- Each artist may submit two works of art for consideration, and all entries must be made online.
- Eligible artworks must use a paper-based substrate (the work is painted on, printed on, drawn on, or constructed of paper), and fall under one of these broad categories: print, painting, drawing, collage, or paper-sculpture. Photography is permitted as part of a larger work (e.g., photographs as part of a collage; photographs integrated into sculptures or book-art).
- Artists must provide a detailed description of the medium and processes used in the production of their work.*
- All work must be original, created within the last ten years, and not previously exhibited at ArtsWorcester.
- Two-dimensional artworks must not exceed 60” in any direction, including frame.
- Three-dimensional artworks are limited to 90” in height, and no single element can exceed 40 pounds.
- Artworks suspended from the ceiling are limited to 25 pounds.
- Works must be exhibition ready with framing and wire as appropriate. Alternative hanging methods (suspended from the ceiling, installed with magnets, etc.) must be tested prior to submission to ensure successful installation, and required hardware must be provided.
- Artists receive sixty percent of each sale made through our galleries.
* Submitting artists may consult with Nancy Burns at ArtsWorcester in January, exact dates to be determined. We offer this opportunity to help all artists be as specific as possible as they describe the production of their work. Please check our website soon for exact dates and additional information.
Please contact the gallery with any questions at email@example.com or (508) 755-5142.
Thank you for your submissions, thank you for moving with us, and good luck!
Material Needs Grants, funded by an anonymous donor, support the expenses of supplies and materials for the creation of new art in Worcester County. With this gift, we are able to distribute grants to local artists between $500 and $1,500. We generally exhibit the new work in the following exhibition season (awards made in early spring of 2019 will go towards the works shown in the 2020-2021 exhibition season).
When is the deadline? Midnight on Saturday, January 5, 2019. Submissions received after this date and time will not be considered.
What expenses could be covered by a Material Needs Grant? These grants are restricted to expenses incurred for the supplies, material, and equipment (purchased or rented) needed to make new art. Proposals for any and all kinds of visual art, including performance art, are welcome.
What expenses are not covered? Examples of expenses not covered would be studio rental, framing, publicity and promotional costs, reception expenses, insurance or transport of artwork.
How are proposals evaluated? Proposals are considered for their novelty, innovation, potential impact (on the viewer, on your career, and on other artists in the area), and feasibility. Can you do it? And can you do it in one calendar year?
Who is eligible? You must have been a member of ArtsWorcester for one calendar year prior to applying for a Material Needs Grant, and you must reside in Worcester County. We regret that members residing outside of Worcester County are not eligible. If you have previously received a Material Needs Grant, you must wait three years before applying again.
How do I submit? All submissions must be made online through this Submittable form. Email and hard copy proposals will not be considered.
When will I find out if I have received a grant? By the end of January, 2019.
And then I just make the art? Yes--and awardees receiving grants made in 2019 should expect to have works completed with their funds exhibited in the fall of 2020.
Take a turn at being a featured member of ArtsWorcester! Answer a few interview questions and provide an image of yourself and an artwork, and we'll feature you on our website and social media feeds at some point during the upcoming year. This opportunity is open to all artist members. This has proven a popular member benefit; you should be prepared for a delay of some months before yours appears.
We will edit for clarity and length if need be. If your written material is not ready for the public yet, we'll ask you to take another try at it and make some suggestions as to how it can best showcase your work.
Thanks for your participation and membership!