ArtsWorcester engages artists and the public to advance and celebrate contemporary art. Through exhibitions and workshops, we advance the careers of contemporary artists in all traditions and mediums, and cultivate excellence through competitive opportunities and prizes. Our exhibiting artists include those just beginning their practice, those with established reputations, and those in between. Public openings, artist talks, events, outreach, and education grow the audiences for art in our region. All are welcome.
ArtsWorcester membership is required to submit work and exhibit through our galleries. Membership is open to all, and is free to students enrolled in Worcester-area colleges or universities.
CALL FOR ART
About Face: A Members' Exhibition
On view June 20 - August 3, 2019
ArtsWorcester, 44 Portland Street, Worcester
Online Registration Deadline: June 6
Work Drop-Off: June 8, 12-7pm; June 10-13, 12-5pm
Opening Reception: Thursday, June 20, 6-9pm
Collection of unsold works: August 6-8, 12-5pm; August 9-10, 10am-7pm
ArtsWorcester invites members to register work for About Face, a non-juried, open-member exhibition exploring the many forms of portraiture. We seek approaches to likeness, expression, mood, or personality, through representations of individuals, pairs, or groups. Works can be two- or three- dimensional, still or moving images, and formal or informal. All media are accepted.
Five hundred dollars in prizes will be awarded by Lauren Szumita, Curatorial Assistant of Prints, Drawings, and Photographs at the Worcester Art Museum. Prize winners will be announced at the opening reception.
For a quick drop-off, please register work online using this Submittable form by Thursday, June 6.
- Current ArtsWorcester membership is required to participate. If you are unsure of your member status please call the gallery at (508) 755-5142.
- Each artist may register one work of art.
- Work must be original, created within the last ten years, and not previously exhibited at ArtsWorcester.
- Two-dimensional artworks are strictly limited to 48" in any direction, including the frame.
- Three-dimensional artworks are strictly limited to 90” in height, and no single element can exceed 40 pounds.
- Artworks suspended from the ceiling must not exceed 25 pounds.
- Video artists are responsible for providing their own viewing and screening equipment for the duration of the exhibition.
- Works must be exhibition ready with framing and wire as appropriate. Alternative hanging methods (suspended from the ceiling, installed with magnets, etc.) must be tested prior to submission to ensure successful installation, and required hardware must be provided.
- Works must be delivered in person or by proxy. ArtsWorcester cannot accept or return work by shipment.
- Artists receive sixty percent of each sale made through our galleries.
ArtsWorcester reserves the right to refuse artwork that does not meet submission guidelines.
Please contact the gallery with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or (508) 755-5142.
Thank you for your interest in the 2019 College Show. You may submit your artwork at any time, but the deadline is midnight on Friday, November 30, 2019.
Artwork drop-off will take place between Tuesday, January 21, and Saturday, January 25, 2019.
Specific hours for drop-off will be Tuesday - Thursday, 12-5 PM, and Friday - Saturday, 10 AM - 7 PM. Please do not submit artwork if you are not able to make this commitment.
Please note that you may submit a maximum of three pieces. If you do submit multiple pieces, please make sure to give each artwork a unique name. You'll need to do a separate upload for each piece. Our guidelines:
- You must be enrolled in a Worcester-area college or university holding an institutional membership in ArtsWorcester (Anna Maria, Assumption, Becker, Clark, Holy Cross, MCPHS, QCC, WSU, WPI). If you are enrolled in any other college or university, including those outside of Worcester, and have a Student Membership, you are also eligible to submit.
- Artwork must be original, completed in the last two years, and not previously shown at or submitted to ArtsWorcester.
- Artwork must be exhibition-ready, with any required hardware, picture-hanging wire, and framing as appropriate. No saw-toothed hangers or clip frames will be accepted. Paintings on canvas do not need to be framed, but they need wire installed on the back so that we can hang them.
- Photographs and other works on paper should be framed or matted. Cheap sources of frames: ready-made frames from C.C. Lowell, A.C. Moore, Target, or places like T.J. Maxx. Even cheaper: buy a framed work or poster from a thrift store, throw out the art inside, and use the frame. Paint it black, if it needs freshening up.
- Very large works on paper (greater than 2-3 feet in any direction) are an exception to our framing requirements: we can hang them with alternative methods.
- Two-dimensional works are limited to 60 inches in any direction, including frame.
- Any single element of a 3-D work is limited to 40 pounds, and must not exceed 90 inches in height. A 3-D work may have more than one element in this size.
- Artists are responsible for delivery and pick-up of the work, and insurance to and from ArtsWorcester. Professors are occasionally willing to help with delivery.
- Artists receive sixty percent of each sale made through our galleries. Sales happen every year, so be sure to cover your own expenses (at the very least) when you determine a price for your work.
Please let us know of any questions you may have: 508-755-5142 or email@example.com.
Thank you for your submission, and good luck!
Take a turn at being a featured member of ArtsWorcester! Answer a few interview questions and provide an image of yourself and an artwork, and we'll feature you on our website and social media feeds at some point during the upcoming year. This opportunity is open to all artist members. This has proven a popular member benefit; you should be prepared for a delay of some months before yours appears.
We will edit for clarity and length if need be. If your written material is not ready for the public yet, we'll ask you to take another try at it and make some suggestions as to how it can best showcase your work.
Thanks for your participation and membership!